I don’t belong to a traditional gym, so when classes are cancelled due to holidays or my schedule doesn’t match up, I usually end up going for a run or doing my own workout outside. However, sometimes it’s WAY too hot. Like today. It’s almost 6:00pm in Philadelphia, but the real feel is 97 degrees!
I worked this morning til 1:45. I was going to get up super early and run, but that just didn’t happen. It was too hot to go for a run, so what’s a girl to do?
Well, lucky for me (and you), there are quite a bit of options for great at home workouts if you do a little digging. It’s not my favorite way to workout – I’m definitely a social person when it comes to getting fit, but I have compiled a few here for you that I use in a pinch.
Lithe Method has two great at home workouts on their blog that you can do if you are familiar with Lithe classes. I did the Hurricane Workout today. It took about 35 minutes and I was super sweaty at the end.
Be Well Philly has a weekly column called Be WOW – the Workout of the Week. The ones I’ve listed below are particularly friendly to being at home inside. Free weights will help! (I got some from Amazon a couple years ago, and they come in handy!) – Find all of the Be Wow workouts here.
- Conditioning Ladder Workout
- Hot Legs Workout
- DIY Bootcamp Workout
- 500 Rep Challenge
- No Weights Needed Circuit Workout
I also have put together a few 10 minute circuits that I pair with other things. For example, after the Hurricane Workout above, I did a 10 minute ab circuit to round out a great 45 minutes. Try one of these:
- Abs: 20 V-Sits, 20 obliques/side crunches each side, 20 leg raises, 20 super mans – 3 times total
- Full Body: (More like 15 minutes) – Squat Jumps, Pushups, Rear lunge to front kick, Plank to Bridge, Rowers – 4 Rounds of 20-15-10-5
- Legs: 20 deep squats, 20 rear lunge to front kick, 20 lateral lunges (to the side), 20 fire hydrants – 3 times total
Finally, for those of you that like workout DVDs. I have and recommend the Jillian Michaels series (short and intense) and the Bob Harper videos. Some of these are also available for purchase on iTunes. And check for On Demand Workouts if you have that! (I do not.)
- Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred
- Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30
- Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown
- Bob Harper Cardio Conditioning
- Bob Harper Pure Strength
What indoor workouts do you like to do? Don’t let the heat be an excuse not to get a good workout in!