I am acutely aware that I am long overdue for a good “Life is Good” post. This week seems particularly good timing for one since I’ve been feeling a little stressed about my cat’s urinary problems, and overall just a little worn out. However – without further ado:
Did I use “ado” correctly? Is that actually a thing?
1. I have been making some *AWESOME* smoothies lately. My lovely roommate, Natalie, has a Vitamix. It finally came home to live with us, and I’m ecstatic. This picture was of my first attempt, but I’m very pleased with my daily smoothies each and every day. For my green smoothies, I’ve been doing a bag of spinach, a cucumber, water or almond milk or a combo, an apple, maybe a pear or banana or both. I often add an avocado, maybe some peanut butter. We have chia seeds that I haven’t tried. I made an amazing pumpkin, banana, cocoa, cinnamon, nutmeg, almond milk smoothie last night. I could drink that every day of my life. I make a lot, and it’s enough for Natalie and I or for me for 2 days if she’s not around . Love them.
2. I have *officially* decided to stop trying to lose 10 more pounds. My body is protesting, and who says I need to lose 10 more pounds? I have been at this weight for a year and a half, and I’m happy at it. I can easily maintain it, and can focus on being fit and happy and not skinny and hungry. Sounds like a good trade to me. So, I have *NO* idea how many calories are in the smoothies, and I don’t care. They are good for me, and that’s enough. That said – I’ve been eating sort of crappy these past few days (but really, not that bad. Though I am craving a burger or hoagie right now something fierce). I’m chalking it up to PMS and will be back on the no carbs/dairy during the week train again next week.
3. My 34, yes – count them, 34 – fifth graders have pretty much fallen in line at school. Sure, it’s a ton of kids, and sure – they would certainly get more attention if there were less of them, but there is definite teaching and learning going on, and that’s all I’m going to ask for right now.
4. I rejoined OkCupid, and even though I think dating is a pain, I realize it’s something I probably should do. So, yeah. that’s happening. I’ll keep you updated.
5. I went to the King of Prussia Beer Fest for free last Saturday with some friends thanks to Yelp! It was a good selection of craft beers and a pretty fun band. Good times were had by all. And get this – a guy came up to my friends and I saying that I looked really familiar. My friend, Greta, went into high gear, suggesting that we become Facebook friends to see if we have mutual friends in common. Nope. Want to guess how he recognized me? We had been talking on OkCupid. As soon as I saw his profile picture I knew, but it took him until the next morning when he messaged me. Funny how these things happen, isn’t it?
6. My most recent long run, on Sunday, was 8.6 miles. I ran with Carey and Matt late Sunday morning on the Kelly Dr/West River Drive Loop, ending with running up the Steps! Because, why not? Carey and I stayed together the whole time, stopping here and there to wait for Matt and what not. It was not such a great run for him, but he still pushed it out and that is all that matters. Read about his run here.
Carey and I kept a really solid pace the whole time, and even though it was crazy humid, I thought it went well. I’ve been having some IT Band issues, and my knee hurt a little in the last mile, but I’m doing some foam rolling and all is well.
7. I did two awesome running club runs last week. Tuesday, I ran with the running club portion of Young Involved Philadelphia. (Run with us! Info here.) It was my first outing with this group, which meets the first Tuesday of every month. You run, and then explore some cool place in Philly. This past week was the Reading Viaduct, that is in the process of raising money to turn it into a park. It was super cool to be up there. They are basically elevated, abandoned railroad tracks. Then, we went to Prohibition Taproom for some food and drinks. On Thursday, I ran with the infamous Fishtown Beer Runners. They are super nice, and super fun, and like to run and drink beer. How can you go wrong? There’s a group that leaves from 7 and Bainbridge, so we ran 4 miles and ended at LLama Tooth for some beer. The first was free! I had an awesome time and an awesome run. I’m trying to go tomorrow, but the rain might just get in the way! I sure hope not.
8. I got up yesterday at 6am to run with Pam, and I got up today at 6am to go to yoga with Natalie! If not for the rain, Pam and I would be running tomorrow at 6am. I’m positive that these 6am workouts are the only things that got me through my days the past 2 days! I did end up going to Sgt Nate- Ranger Cross Training tonight, but now I’m completely wiped and not going to my frisbee game. Ah well. I need some rest, and it’s damp and chilly outside.
What are some reasons why your life is good this week?